Thursday, February 4, 2010

Dear Mom,

I found an old email you wrote to me in November of 1997. It had been printed with an old dot matrix printer and was folded into fourths and tucked in a cook book I rarely use anymore. I had just moved to Montana and was attempting to cook my first Thanksgiving dinner. I asked you to send me specific details; recipes, ingredients and most importantly instructions on how to cook.
The list was long and the details were explicit. You were doing just as I had asked and every line of the letter was so very much from your heart. As I read it tonight it made me want to make a Thanksgiving dinner just as you had written it, even though it is nearly 6:00 in the evening and February.

I miss you. I miss you so much and I wish I could hear your voice right now. I wish you could know that Megan is here and we are a family together, even if Dad has a new partner and is so far away.

Anyway, all three boys are calling me. Arlo has been asking me to do a puzzle with him for the last 20 minutes and I should go be with them.

Send me an email sometime.

4 comments:

Tara said...

Oh, that made me teary eyed. Lots of hugs, friend. What a special memory that will be as you pull out that paper and share it with your boys when you cook Thanksgiving dinner together each year!

Gizella said...

me too. Makes me NOT want to throw away all the letters my mom wrote me, even the painful ones..thank you for sharing such a private momemt..xo gizi

Kristen said...

I was already in a weepy place and then I read your post... I really don't know what to say but I am in tears. For you, with you...?

Heather said...

I am so happy for you that you have that letter. What a wonderful memory. I don't have any letters to me from my mother and wish I did. But, I do have the love she left in my heart. That is what I carry with me every day.

Related Posts with Thumbnails