Sunday, August 28, 2005

Small Hands

We co-slept with Sam until he was about 6 months, when we began putting him to sleep in his room on a futon mattress on the floor. At some point in the night he would move into our bed, often before midnight, but if it was a good night, not until 2 or 3 a.m. The hour at which he moved into our bed gradually grew later and later into the morning hours. Some nights were better than others and some night he was never been in his bed, or I was never in my bed. In the last month (since the teething has seized), Sam has been waking only once at night and often NEVER moving into our bed. He has recently even slept all night without waking. Last night Matt put Sam to bed (a new and much needed development in our night time parenting) at 9:30 p.m. and he slept until 12:30 a.m. when I nursed him back to sleep in his bed. I returned to my bed thinking that he may sleep until morning. At 6:45 a.m. he woke and I brought him into bed with me. Matt has been going to work very early at this new job and often after 5 a.m. I have the bed to myself, so Sam was more than welcome this morning. I nursed him and after he lay there with his back to me and his little arm twisted around so his small hands could stroke my face and arm...just as reassurance that I was still there as he fell asleep. I LOVE these mornings! I love his small hands playing with my hair and touching my arms and face. I know I these days are limited and he will grow and eventually he won't be in our bed in the early morning hours. I will haver fewer and fewer moments like those I had this morning. I think too, that had we not chosen to co-sleep I would have never had these moments. This is a thank you to those moms in Manhattan, KS who showed me that attachment parenting and co-sleeping are wonderful ways to live, to nurture and to love your children. Your support has been immeasurable. For a great article on Attachment Parenting visit: http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/ap-frame-of-mind.html

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails