Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Mother Blessing and the Belly

On Saturday, four of my very closest girlfriends, gave me a mother blessing. It was amazing. When pregnant with Sam I had two traditional baby showers. They were fun and, I think, necessary, being that I was about to be a first-time mama. This ceremony was perfect the second time around. I was able to appreciate the spiritual aspect of becoming a mother. I had no worries about needs for the baby, or fears about the birth...just the afternoon to focus on the meaning and passage in becoming a mother again. Poems were read, feelings were shared, tears were shed, beads for a birthing necklace were blessed, a meal was shared...it was very calming, restorative, and empowering.


I am a willow tree, strong yet fluid...graceful...

I can bend with the wind but my roots are tough and indestructable.

Opening to birth my child is flowing through me from the ancient water of life fully nourished by my body.

My body is strong, but flexible...it is my friend, it knows how to open, as "she" has been opening for all humanity.

I am friend to my body.

I love her as a dear old friend.

I nourish myself.

I shall birth safely, freely, openly like a flower blooming among my trusted loved ones.

I am the willow, flexible, beautiful, resilient, endowed with the power to surrender to the wind rustling through my branches.

38 1/2 weeks

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails