Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Karma

I think the big difference between karma and irony is the spiritual element that karma implies. I love the idea of karma and really try to keep it in my fore thoughts as I live my days.

Last week my good friend, Z, was visiting and we had a knock on the door from a couple Mormon men seeking my time. I have never been good about confronting them and decided this time to simply ignore the knock. It worked and within a minute or two they had left. No harsh words exchanged, no awkward moments. I thought nothing of it.

Today the weather was amazing and I decided to take the boys by bike and buggy to Washington Park for some outdoor play time. Arlo hadn't been in the buggy yet and I wasn't sure how this adventure was going to play out, but nonetheless, we went on our way. The bike ride was harder than I had expected, but I was pulling nearly 60 pounds of kid and buggy and stuff. A half an hour later, we arrived with the park full of kids. Sam immediately ran off to play and I found a shady spot by a tree to sit with Arlo. It was beautiful to see so many moms and kids playing and enjoying the weather. A mother near me started up a conversation as she had a 7 mos. old daughter and we spoke for a bit. i twas nice. Then another women started talking and she asked if I was with the LDS group. I, of course, answered "no" and proceeded to ask what group it was. She answered, The Church of Latter Day Saints, we're Mormons"!!! There I was smack dab in the middle of a very large group of Mormon women!! I immediately felt very strange and out of place and I could tell that Sam did too. He kept sitting with me and on me and didn't want to play, very unlike him. I looked around and saw lots of babies, but no one breastfeeding and one mother had brought her jumparoo thing to the park, plopped her baby in it and then sat right next to her baby!
Sam came to me again for some snuggles and I asked him if he'd like to leave. He said yes and ran for the buggy. I felt the same, picked up Arlo and dashed for the bike! We were invited to return as we were leaving, but I think we likely not.
At any rate, once we returned home, had some lunch and water, I was able to reflect on the morning. I realized how much I miss my mom's group here. I haven't been attending much lately because Sam in preschool at the same time as playgroup and Arlo usually naps. So, I need to make it a priority again...and I will.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I totally know how you feel. I'm still feeling out some moms that are in the large AP community here & I find that many of them are super religious (even a few mormans). I'm always hesitant to let my real personality come out with some of these moms because I don't want to offend anyone.
I just had this conversation with one of my new friends that I really like. We want some more moms that talk about sex, drugs, and rock & roll!

Related Posts with Thumbnails